How to check the purity of honey?
Most of the honey available in market is diluted with molasses
and sugar syrup in order to boost their profits. To increase the thickness of
the honey, some adds to it flour. So we should know how to check purity of honey
Here, the five commonly used methods to check the purity on a small
1. Thumb Test
2. Water Test
3. Flame Test
4. Water - Vinegar mix test
5. Blotting paper test
1. Thumb Test: The procedure to do a thumb test to test pure honey:
- put a small drop of the honey on your thumb - check to see
if it spills or spreads around if it does not stick to your thumb, -
it is impure pure honey will stick to your thumb
2. Water Test: The procedure to do the water test to determine fake
- Fill a glass with water
- Add one tablespoon of honey into
- Adulterated or artificial honey dissolves in water and you will see
it around the glass - Pure honey will settle right at the bottom of
3. Flame Test: Here's how to do the flame test to check the
purity of honey: Organic honey is flammable. How many of you know the fact?
The procedure of determining honey purity is: - Take a dry
matchstick - Dip its tip right into honey
- Strike the stick on the matchbox as if to light it
- If the honey is pure, the matchstick will light with ease.
- If the matchstick will not light, it may contain some impurities or
honey is adulterated.
4. Water - Vinegar mix test:
The test procedure of determining honey purity is:
- Add a tablespoon of honey,
- 2-3 drops of vinegar and some water in a glass.
- Mix well Observe for about 2 to 3 minutes
- If the solution becomes foamy, that is definitely adulterated honey.
5. Blotting Paper Test:
With the help of blotting paper, how to test to see honey is impure:
- Take a blotting paper and a few drops of honey on the paper
- If it will leave a wet mark on paper, it is adulterated
- Pure honey will not leave any mark on the blotting paper.